Friday, May 05, 2006

Tricky things, compromises


I sometimes permit myself a wry smile when something falls into my lap that is at the expense of those with whom we are competing, especially when it helps make my point in a pitch.

Too late for my seminar at Internet World, but this image just dropped into my in-tray and helps make my point about how as a medium Junkk.com is not only highly targeted, but also for its editorial a lot less susceptible - and in advertising terms almost (I'll leave that 'get out clause' as there will be some b*ggg*er that slips past one day) immune - to tricky compromises.

For sure we'll discuss all sorts, and take PR from most, but when it comes to ads we will and can be a lot more choosy, so our editorial is not so likely to be saying one thing and having unfortunate messages sitting above or below (in this case they are at least not running a 'you should...' green article, but I have a few gems where high horses have been rendered a little less than consistent by homages to high horsepower sitting next door).

Actually I'm happy to run a piece about such as a steam-powered Roller, but as in my blog will likely opine it's a 'nice theory, but...'. However the ad next to it will not be for a 4x4, unless its a Lexus Hybrid (sorry, I'm with Mr. Cameron on this one, and could not bring myself to have a Prius, even if I could afford it). Actually I'd prefer the Citroen C(1 or 2, can't recall which and am too busy to find out - send us your press release, you lazy sods!), which tickled me post-‘Gordon eco-silly sop Budget’ by running a Congestion Charge promo. And we may eventually have an airline ad, but it would need to be more on a 'if you have to fly, this will make the best use of the emissions' basis, rather than a 'fly lots so you can fly lots more' one like Air Miles.

I of course stand ready to be caught out on this subsequently.

Because there are always compromises to be made. And left hands missing out on what right hands are doing. By writing this I've made life perhaps a tad more tricky for our PR guys, who are trying to ask The Times’ journalists to say nice things about us while I write this about their employer. But then their PRs are having the same problem too. Not to mention their ad sales guys. At least for the latter we are able to offer a fairly uncompromising product in ours.

As to editorial? Sod it. I think I'll just call it as I see it. And so will Junkk.com, though a little more tactfully I hope.

No comments: