Friday, January 26, 2007

The Gloucester Old Spot now departing Terminal 3..

Keeping promises is not easy. With two 10-year-olds on monitoring duty I can attest to that.
Being kept to them is another matter. Hence I repeat, with two 10-year-olds...

So why is it that politicians are not held to the same scrutiny and, believe me, pressure, should they stray from a previously agreed path for no good reason?
I'm sure there is some tracking system, and I know 'media with memory' will trot out a corker to spice up an interview, but how about a simple, online table of what has been said or promised, and what has been ignored or reneged upon subsequently? I dunno, something like PolsPorkies.info (worth the £4.99 reg. fee alone!). Purely factual. What was said, or done. And the follow-up. No end point. Maybe a section to allow for an explanation of a revision.

Now this preamble could be deemed to be unfair to the piece that inspired it, and the person it is about. It is not meant to be. Because, of a lot I've read of late, it makes a lot of sense, seems to put right a lot that's wrong, and I'd support it. I just hope it is going to happen when the time comes. So I will wait.

Because openness, and the ability to discuss and change things are fundamental to a democratic system. Yet in the name of Gord knows what, (pun slightly intended), we are seeing an erosion of such principles at every turn.

No comments: