Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Anita Roddick, R.I.P

It's a funny old world. If, perhaps, a pretty complex and often not very nice one.

When I heard of her death, I was indeed saddened at the loss of someone who by any measure did, has and will have a real impact on how the cause of capitalism and environmentalism could go hand in hand for the common good.

In fact I'd applied to a Science Museum mentor thingie with the sole aim of trying to get some advice from her on how best to do this btter (mainly the making moeny bit). Sadly, now not to be.

But is surprises me just what else there was that made up the person and her deeds. Some not always as good as others. There were many who screamed betrayal when Body Shop got swallowed by a corporate giant, but I have to say I saw no problem at all. At worst it was hers to do with as she wished, but at best she was then in a position to effect greater change from within.

What I hadn't appreciated before were some of her other activist views which, if true, I could not honestly endorse.

Do these therefore taint how she should be remembered? Well, as I often bang on, it's hard these days to dissociate the messenger from the message, and if there are... distractions... maybe they may not be the best poster persons to choose.

I think I can be Solomonesque in this case. Divorcing some of her personal views and activist activities in other areas, I'd choose to remember a small shop that went on to be a global brand, based on the notion that people could be persuaded to buy 'better' products without guilt, nannying or threat. Simply by making the option appealing.

Brand republic - Speaking well of whom

No comments: