Tuesday, April 01, 2008

NEWS/Commercial PR - A view from the other side

At least I didn't say the 'dark' side!

Actually it is not a press release, but an article in Marketing Week that I cannot print out for obvious reasons, but can link to: Tesco chief Richard Brasher: Why going green must appeal to the wallet

The reason I have it down as 'PR' is to cover my ethical a**e, as it is a one-sided view. But, that said, in the context of the piece (ignoring a few other Tescoploy-motivated adventures) there is not much I can disagree with.

I've already grabbed credit for inspiring the lightbulb idea for them four years ago, but here's a couple more I can only nod along with (being we've been saying it from the off - I guess that's why some get the big bucks... timing, not originality), especially as we try to flog the RE:tie concept.

'...working hard to help our customers take small steps towards living more environmentally friendly lives. Rather than preying on feelings of fear or guilt to motivate people to change their habits, we are finding simple ways to show people that greener living can be easy and cost-effective.' ... a different tack by making going green something that they will find simple – and possibly even enjoyable. We want them to feel good about their decision to save energy or reduce their waste, rather than feeling that they are being punished, or forced to give something up.'

Hope they reply to our calls soon, then:)

No comments: