Monday, July 25, 2005

What makes the news?

To answer my last stated question in the previous blog, no, it would seem I cannot let this all go quite yet. But I'm hoping that by getting this of my chest I at last can, if ruefully accepting that even if a majority agree with me, I doubt anything we write or do will ever change things.

Everyone depends on the media to some extent. Some of us may even need to engage with it proactively for more professional reasons, to assist in our communications aims (and let's face it, few of us do not have some reason to want to reach out beyond our immediate spheres of contact).

But as readers will gather, I am often troubled with the blurring of what used to be more clearly defined lines between news, facts, opinion and entertainment in how information is served up to us. Too often the serious is sensationalised, the complex trivialised, and in-depth questions sacrificed in favour of quick opinion.

In the wake of the tragic, mistaken shooting of this poor young Brazilian, I this morning turned on my TV to be subjected to a 'news' story from the house of one of his extended family members in Brazil, with footage of sad, solemn kids throwing a ball to each other. They have lost a family member, and I presume a close and much-loved one. But I just wonder if the scene I witnessed was the little ones' idea, and what its purpose was.

From the same report I also question the pride being shown in the 'scoop' of a cousin making his financial claim 'here, live'. Again I must ask: did he come up with this all on his own? Or was the thought planted to keep the story running?

I feel that too many of these, and so many other so-called news items, are now unrepresentative, staged theatre by those who should be tasked only to report, and by 'adding' in this way to the story serve neither it nor the subsequent circumstances well.

But the authorities are complicit too. They play along with all these ratings-fests with ever-more stage-managed victims'/perpetrators' photocalls, with either an involved individual or a mouthpiece trotting out words I often doubt anyone closely involved to the events has ever articulated.

Our thoughts therefore become shaped only by what we are served up, because it is an inevitability (one I am happy to accept) that we do not get to share in the thoughts and actions of those who have the understandable desire to maintain a dignified silence on what is ultimately a very personal affair.

So it is those who make the most noise who get the most notice. And into whose hands does that play, I wonder?

No comments: