Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The fine art of telling someone they're wrong (and how to get right)

The other night I was watching Top of the Pops.

I think it was current because they mostly had a bunch of perfomers
I'd never heard of, introduced by gushing street cred presenters I
also didn't recognise, along with their with accents.

And then, all hail, they introduced Robbie Williams.

I have to say, whether the hype made the man or the man made the
hype, he had presence.

And not a little talent. I'm pretty sure that this was a song he (at
least co-) wrote, and was actually delivering it live.

It has been on the radio before, so I knew it slightly.

The studio audience knew it a lot. But unfortunately not enough to
avoid clapping along to a song other than the one actually being sung.

Which is when I observed another of Mr. William's remarkable skills.

Somehow, and I'm still not sure quite how he did it, without actually
stopping singing (and complemented by some hand gestures), he managed
to convey to the star-stuck eager-beavers - who were more interested
in him than his music - that they were in fact compeletely out of
time. This was done with skill, grace and humour enough that no one
missed the point... but neither were they offended by the critique.

And then - this being the important bit - he also managed, quickly
and easily, to get them in time.

That is something to be admired. And copied. Especially when it comes
to shaping consumer behaviour to get us back on track.

I don't think many of us have yet, but I sure intend for Junkk.com to
try.

No comments: