Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Hot air and a mighty wind

Today is my Birthday, so I was woken up at 5.30am by my sons to be be given the Star Wars XBox game I've apparently always wanted. As it also seems my desire extended only to looking at the sleeve, and for about 30 seconds at that,  it got whisked away for testing on my behalf, so I thought I'd steal a march on preparing my 3 minute pitch for tonight.

A local(ish) networking initiative called @Wales, who has run a few interesting seminars I have attended in the past, has been running something like the [name your actual fierce and/or mythical creature here]'s Den TV programmes for several years now.


I had meant to enter, despite my proven misgivings about the broadcast efforts' true intentions, but actually didn't get around to it. But it seems Emma did,  slapped in a quick paragraph application... and 'we' won. Maybe it's a sign of how things should be. Others do the real work and I just turn up and mouth off.

But with 12 hours to go, it's all rather bearing down. (Probably mis-)quoting mark Twain, writing (or in this case saying) little takes a lot of work.

What do I share? The judges and audience are not really 'investors', so it's not that kind of pitch. So I have decided to play it more as a way to assess how well people 'get' what Junkk.com is trying to do.

Sure I can throw in a few facts and figures about the potential of the Green £ and making saving the planet a consequence of what we're doing but not the stated aim, but I mostly want folk to grasp that we are trying to offer a reliable, trustworthy and always entertaining path in what is becoming an increasingly more confusing and pressured life... on the ENV/RE: front at least (if not others). And in so doing doing get those precious visitor numbers followed, one trusts, by advertisers.

For instance, I just read a rather strident critique in the Telegraph to an equally 'we're all doomed' one in the Independent on Sunday. The former made some interesting points (a few factual), and did of course attempt to raise the often-ignored issue of economic practicalities. 

But like those in the other camp, there was little in the way of what can be done to try and maintain our lifestyles whilst simply cutting out the blatantly real waste and emission consequences of our consumerist global, growing population. 

It all seems a bit 'stop'... 'carry on', at each extreme, with most of us in the middle just muddling along.

With Junkk.com trying to help in doing just that.

So here is some good news, guys:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-1903311,00.html (be quick, it's only good 'til Saturday). Highlights:

War on climate change targets flatulent cows

There are 1.4 billion cows worldwide, each producing 500 litres of methane a day and accounting for 14% of all emissions of the gas. 

In Scotland, where there is a greater concentration of agriculture than in other countries, cows produce 46% of all methane emissions. 

Now scientists at the Rowett Research Institute in Aberdeen say they have developed a diet that has done the most to reduce the amount of methane produced by cows.... by 70%

I think I'll enjoy that birthday steak a bit more now. 

But.... how do I get to specify if it is of the low-emission variety? No, really, how? 

If a system is in place for me to do that I can surely effect some change whilst still enjoying my hugely eco-inefficient but genetically pre-conditioned omnivore diet. The business that responds to that desire will surely triumph. And will place an ad with us to reach those who we attract with our messages and style.

That's what Junkk.com about. Now, how can I fit that into my 3 minutes?

No comments: