Friday, May 05, 2006

Better than nothing (again)?

This is like some kind of self-fulfilling do-dad, because by writing and asking here, I am in fact already answering, or at least putting in motion, the very process I'm questioning.

I subscribe to a fairly (it sends out an awful lot of stuff daily) useful (a few nuggets... rarely) online PR service, and just saw the following subject/headline Jewelrypayless.com Helps Fight Global Warming.  How could I resist?

But this at first seemed a stretch in the continuing 'Any product you can think of, just spray it green' saga the consuming public are being subjected to.

This online jewelry company is pitching a 50% discount to Hybrid car owners who buy from them.

Not quite sure how your prove your choice of transport, but I'm sure they have that figured out.

I  have to say I thought this was plain daft, but then on balance I guess it's better that if they are going to flog diamonds (which are not that eco to extract as I recall) anyway, they try to mitigate it somehow. 

And while I guess that in comparison (all things are relative) to a store who doesn't encourage gem buyers to drive a hybrid they ARE helping fight global warming, but it's a... stretch.

Then again, we do say that we are helping save the planet, so all's fair....

No comments: