Monday, October 09, 2006

I may not agree with what you say, but will admire you with all my heart if you articulate it politely and well

Actually, the headline pretty much says it all. And if it doesn't the letter I just popped over to the Green Party HQ certainly will.

I recently saw one of those artillery exchanges I dread so much, where the news media set up two opposing sides and feed of the collateral scraps.

Only this time a young Green Party spokesperson called Sian Berry showed how things can, and should be done. Big up to her.

"I may not always agree with everything that gets said by one party of another in the ongoing environmental debates we are now seeing more and more of, but one thing I do appreciate is a person who puts their case well and maintains their dignity and respect in the process, and often in the face of rather unnecessary and/or aggressive tactics. As really the only method such material can be brought to us, the 'moderators' are by default the media and their operatives, and it does amaze me how much they are complicit in rendering serious and interesting avenues of discussion trivial and altogether too polarised simply in a desire for ratings. Hence it was with some pleasure I witnessed the exchanges between Ms. Berry and Prof. (of Forecasting?) James Woudhysen on the BBC recently, and congratulate her on a truly impressive performance."

No comments: