Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Airbor(n)e

There's so much flying (pun intended) around on this topic it's hard to know how to keep up.

I started on it a wee while ago, but I think a new post is in order, this time devoted to the guy in charge:

BBC - Blair defends long-haul holidays
Guardian - Carry on flying, says Blair - science will save the planet
Indy - Blair says no politician would ban cheap flights
Telegraph - I'll recycle but I won't give up my long-haul holidays, says Blair

First up, he's right (shock horror): no pol is going to try and ban cheap hols. Therein lies a problem. I don't think anyone is saying that, but something erring on curbing the gasses is needed, and if they only way to get there is in gassy plane...

However, that's as far as I'll cut him some slack.

This is a guy who, as of next year, needs/wants to fly around the world on speaking tours to try and cover the mortgage back home. As many (have to) do. As to the family getting in a snit if they can't build their sandcastles at least 8,000 miles away, well... many of us don't have the option in the first place.

But at least he'll be popping the duty-free rum bottles in the right bin to compensate.

Michael O'Leary and the airlines must be wetting themselves laughing.

Unlike the quoted 'enviro-groups', I'm a bit more than disappointed. This governement is not joined up, or a mob that leads or even feels the need to lead by example. And for that alone they should be made example of come the next election. Please God I can find someone to vote for by then.

ps: I'm not sure if it's telling, but when he says taxing people more is a way to incentivise them I see a bit of a flaw in reasoning. I'm hoping he meant that you encourage with reward and disincentivise with penalties. But they way his government is going I think it's not confusion but policy.

No comments: