Monday, January 08, 2007

Parapet. Head. Stick. Over. Ouch.

It's that kind of day: Guardian

"For some reason I don't often get approved for the Telegraph, but I'd like to share what I wrote to them today - http://junkk.blogspot.com/2007/01/martin-in-middle.html - as it's happening here, too.

I am not an eco-Nazi. Nor am I a oil-funded climate-denier. I am just a bloke (one who is trying to raise his kids now AND ensure they have a future) trying to figure this all out to do what's best.

And I am certainly not feeling too well served by government, eco-groups, business, NGOs and even the media. All have an agenda (staying/getting elected, getting funding, getting grants to bestow and ratings/readership respectively) that serves, it seems to me, the environment they claim to serve pretty low on the totem.

I agreed with Mr. Leary in my blog a few days ago. That doesn't make me his lackey. I was simply agreeing with his point that retro-actively back-dating taxes was not on. But before he pops a cork and buys another new 737, I'm afraid there's not much else I can offer him in support. Or a lot of others in favour of ever more, ever-more efficient, ever-more offset and carbonally-traded travel: I really rather think we need to not only slow down, but actually even think about travelling less.

However, if the guys in charge of effecting this equitably, fairly and rationally are those in government (or those in governments worldwide), we have a few slight problem to overcome first.

Trust being first. Faith in abilities next. A sense of vision beyond the next sound-bite or election...

Make that more than a few."

No comments: