Saturday, February 10, 2007

... on the ridiculous

Branson Offers $25 Million to Remove Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide

Taking the point about counter-productivity, it is however worth considering that examples are good things to be set.

While Richard Branson is simply one of many airfleet owners (and got a lot of PR from his towing them to the runway and claims about bio-kerosene... which seem to have passed into history) at least accepting 'things need to be done' (and, at least, putting some money where his mouth is), I would point out that he is also something to do with sticking half a dozen rich tourists in a rocket to look down on the planet they just pushed a smidge further to oblivion. I write this on the presumption that the intended propellant will be greenhouse gas-creating in its consumption.

If it's by catapult I'll apologise.

Speaking as one a tad put off by such antics, I do wonder if the creation of a green elite ('You may call me Nobel' Al, Tony 'it's not really practical not to when I'm hitting the lecture circuit' ' Blair, 'My other car is a Prius' Anycleb, etc) who 'need' to fly the world to spread their message 'as it's their job', may not be having the level of inspiration that is intended on those not so blessed with the fame/money luxuries of choice?

Having watched Total Recall, I'm a tad dubious about stuffing big blocks of goo under the ground, in case they leak back.

For now I think I'll go for the tree thing. Sounds promising. Unless some carb-con credit traders decide to horn in on the deal. Whoops, I think they already have...

No comments: