Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Thoroughly Modern Milli

This man is pretty much central to the government side of what I'm trying to do. I have been in the process of writing to him for a few eeks, but every time I get ready to lick the stamp, the situation changes again. A week is a long time in writing to a politician:

Miliband loses Teflon touch

'Don't ask properly. Don't tell and it will blow over.'

My problem is that I don't have a clue what's going on any more, thanks to a media so obsessed with a one-day turnaround (and prepared to selectively quote, if necessary out of context, to maximise readership ratings) that in-depth journalism goes out of the window in favour of a quick 'hit',

And they are so addicted to these 'hits' they will drop one for the next in the blink of an eye.

Meanwhile, politicians (or indeed anyone who are stuck in front of the camera, microphone or steno pad) have realised this, and have opted for deny, deny, deny, or better yet saying nothing until it blows over.

Hence there may be those who have performed well and those who did not. The latter will certainly not be held accountable, and to succeed these days you merely need to be adept at not getting pinned down to anything.

In this regard Mr. Milliband is almost refreshing in some 'off-message' (ie: can be pounced on to stir the media pot) pronouncements, but on balance over the last few weeks (climate, turkeys, etc), I can think of nothing I have read, heard or seen beyond 'It's difficult', 'will be looked at', 'is only as good as what I'm told...' that actually meant anything tangible.

I am so looking for a leader from any party who has the courage and charisma to pick a direction, stick to it and let me know what it is in terms I can grasp well enough to follow in support.

I am writing to him about one of his quangos going from not supporting my Junkk.com free-to-public reuse efforts to what seems like outright competition, funded by private sponsorship. So thank you alisdair campbell for some very useful info to add to the case I'm putting forward for government to help social entrepreneurs as effectively as the claims that have been made of such initiatives lately.

No comments: