Monday, March 12, 2007

The best answers come from better questions



Where to start, where to start?

The last several days have been a blur, in every way possible. Time. Location. Thoughts.

The last time I felt remotely rational was Thursday, and since then... wow.

There is a temptation to go back and try and pick up from that point. And though I do intend to blog on what has transpired, I think I'll start on something from today that in many ways sums up the highs and lows I have experienced of late.

Today I actually bought a paper as I walked back from dropping the boys at school. It was the Indy. One look at the cover should tell you why I felt so moved.

As I turned from the newsagents a lady called me back to tell me I'd dropped something. I thought it was ironic what. The dog poo was not it. Though that was ironic, too. And I have to say in the Indy's defence it did not slide from its pages. The other two bits did. The ads for the airline destinations and 4x4s stayed inside, by the way. I find them ironic as well..

Anyway I am, here, going to make no detailed comment on the content (though I will later), as it is just the headline and that alone which I have read so far. And that, and that alone, has already given me pause for thought and reason to comment here.

I DO NOT GIVE A MONKEYS WHO IS GREENEST!!!!!!!

What. The. Heck. Does. That. Mean?

As will be explained in subsequent blogs, I have been in front of and at the receiving end of a large number of folk of late, from cynical business persons to grazing academics, to hard-nosed media producers... and it has not been pretty.

But one thing I do know is what I should have remembered from my ad days: GIGO. Garbage In = Garbage Out. And does that ever have an extra twist in matters enviROI.

Also, as will be explained, there are more gulfs out there than a pro golf tournament's (or Al Gore's) private airstrip.

Science and Media. Pols and Science. Media and Pols. Business and Everyone. Oh, and lets not forget the poor sods just trying to get on with their day in average Joeville.

No wonder this place is in a mess. And I don't just mean the poo.

No comments: