Friday, July 13, 2007

A week is a long time in climate change

I hate to tell you I told you so, but: Tell Us What You Flaunt, What You Really Really Flaunt

This would not be the same Geri Halliwell who stood up at Wembley and reckoned that it was 'for her daughter's sake' was it?

Nothing blows cred like a two-faced celeb.

ADDENDUM

Meanwhile, across the pond: Will.I.Am Scraps Plan to Blow Up Hummer

With the funniest comment I've seen: 'He could ship it to Baghdad. That'd be like recylcing it and blowing it up.'

And was this the follow-up 'awareness' the organisers were really after: Where is Fergie's love for her HUMMER?

BBC - Jeremy Vine Show - Interesting debate, if a twofer

I wrote to Prof: Luckhurst:

I was just sent an email linking to the Jeremy Vine discussion you had (I presume a while ago at the time of the BBC withdrawal) regarding Live Earth.

I just wanted to say how nice it was to hear a calm, rational and considered analysis of the situation.

As a committed environmental campaigner and sometime commenter, I was saddened how polarised the discussion around this issue became, though not surprised in light of how anything climate change is immediately consigned to extremes. The media is more than complicit in setting up this situation. So your comment on the blue waters in between that are seldom acknowledged or addressed really resonated.

As did the point, which was key to my lack of enthusiasm, that previous such efforts simply had not worked. And if 'awareness' (itself a rather vague target at best) was all, then as far as I could see the main result was the vast majority of normal folk were further put off by the superficial posturings of a celebrity-obsessed green elite.

And frankly we are seeing it again with the latest surrounding Mr. Gore. However sincere he might be, I cannot separate the messenger from the message. And there seems a huge disconnect between what is being said by a minority of hugely rich and privileged folk who can afford to play with such things (and not really doing that much to mitigate their own lifestyle excesses, frankly), and the general population that are being talked down to from rather shaky pedestals with populist pronouncements that are almost exclusively negative, scaremongering, guilt-tripping, fine-laden or... plain wrong and open to damaging rebuttal (and what will get remembered more? The good stuff or the cons?). Which makes the efforts of methodical, reason-based, pragmatic and incentive-based attempts at persuasion all the harder to 'sell'.

I want to see this planet turned around. It's my greatest possible legacy to my kids. But by heavens those who have taken it upon themselves to do it 'for our own good' are making a mess of it so far. And the media sure is not helping. And I often have to wonder what the motivations are.

No comments: