Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The bidding on the plane at gate 5 starts at...

It's an interesting debate at least: Green taxes are the only way to stop us flying

I have now read Final Call (with a long overdue review due soon) and can only agree with most of it.

But I have to say that the headline for me needs to change to 'Green taxes are the only way to stop some of us flying'. And whether that will be enough.

And without crippling the entire global tourist industries of the world, along with those that serve them, I can't see how that is going to happen. There are simply too many, with too much, and too much vested in ensuring that 'we' keep on getting from A to B for business or pleasure.

And that of course applies to more potentially equitable 'solutions' such as trading, unless it is on a strictly monitored, per person per year basis, and ignores the fact that a Kalahari bushman or Mekong washerwoman are as entitled to an annual quota as the next jet-setting (because 'we have to for our job') person.

I hate to be negative, but I'm stumped on this one.

No comments: