Friday, April 11, 2008

Can't be licked... or hard to swallow?

Green initiatives: Matthew Neilson of the Royal Mail

Whenever I see the prefix 'Carbc.. sorry, Carbon' in marketing materials I do start cranking an eyebrow, especially when followed by offsets, neutralities, etc. I frankly still have no clue what they really refer to, or mean, in the great enviROI+ scheme of things. Until that becomes clearer, I often feel 'Climate friendliER' may be more accurate, especially on a factual basis.

Of course there are oodles of initiatives that are better than nothing, especially vs. what could go down, but very often the plain and simple fact is not doing anything in the first place, especially involving new stuff being made and then going places, is perhaps the 'purest' enviro-solution.

As mentioned that's hard to avoid even with a lot of consumer-based marketing I know, but worth bearing in mind when the eco-labels get licked and applied, especially to my nth 'we're in your area' double glazing DM pack.

And when it comes to fellow public servants HMG, I idly glance at the plastic bag my 2008 Tax return just arrived in. Hope Somerfield will be happy to accept it in their recycle bin:)

No comments: