Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Why I try to apply the enviROI

It isn't easy, but I try to be focused when attempting to decide what might be best to support and, more importantly act upon, when it comes to my kids' futures.

To this end I have tended to commit to the enviROI, and by my assessment to the various environmental issues we face, this means (to me) priority to reducing greenhouse gasses first. Ironically Junkk.com probably does precious little in this regard, but by advocating and encouraging reduction in waste through reuse and repair, and making thinking 'eco' more fun, I figure we can hold our heads up still.

However, when I read such as this - Food miles are just a form of protectionism - I can see that the whole thing is going to be darn difficult to navigate, as the message and most media are very much in the hands of way too many whose main interest does not seem the making of this planet a better place for future generations. Green is more often than not a being used as a weapon to pursue and promote many other agendas than the ones I feel should be. It may only be a matter of time before the next Planet-Ban-it is wheeled out, and which may actually serve a very different interest to those in the headline.

Hence a rare, timely reminder to always think before you l...E-ap. Well done Mr. Lawson and the Indy.

No comments: