Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Half the equation

Calculating your home's carbon footprint

I share this because I mainly agree with, and applaud it, but also because it serves as a good example of how over-enthusiastic enviro-converts either miss, or gloss over realities. And basic science. And human nature.

Measuring stuff is great... and necessary. And can be useful. But to be meaningful and truly useful you need controls, and.or comparisons. Plus a whole wadge of information to help you in a direction once you have the data.

I remain totally bemused by the fact that a pack of crisps contains 75g of carbon. So..er.. what? Buy another pack? Don't buy it at all? What?

It's better with energy consumption, but in isolation hard to see what I can do with it save buying a bunch of kit (I have) and spending a ton of time (I do) to get depressed (don't ask).

Using the methodology shared here I can and will do the necessary calculations to measure my home's carbon footprint annually, but remain unsure as to how this, in isolation, is a great way of reducing the contribution it makes to climate change.

OK, if I drive the number down (especially as the £ per unit of energy goes up rises) I will feel better, but it seems a little vague to me on real impacts.

No comments: