Saturday, September 06, 2008

Let's have a look inside that pudding, then

I have long cautioned against throwing about sky falling stats and deadlines that can prove problametic if they don't deliver, even if it is just within timeframe.

This is especially true of matters climatic, where nature seldom moves to the beat of the next soundbite.

We live in a literal world, and if your prediction fails to meet claim or expectation, that's going to be a problem.

I vaguely recall a twinge of unease in this regard when this was first outed.

Now, while such as this is littered with 'likely's' and 'could's', the confidence level was pretty high that this would 'make people more aware of the effects of climate change'.

But all I am seeing is references to this, the fact that his wish was granted and he couldn't make it, and not really always in the best way to inspire a climate cautious outlook. So, simplistically, does the fact that he was unable to get there mean "we really are no longer in deep trouble."

I don't know, but I am not sure that he proved what he set out to in the best way possible. There are positives and supporters, but in today's media age I fear I have read a lot more on the fact that the point was not made, and hence...?

'If the glove doesn't fit only works' if it doesn't... and you have a got lawyer. Of course it helps to have a team. And a PR crew. And lots more shrinking wilderness to highlight by all going there (how?) mob handed next time. Hmnn.

BBC - Kayaker's climate change trip

EU Referendum - Idiots Abroad - An unfair headline in my view, but it does rather show how these things need to be throught through.

Times - All this rain . . . obviously global warming - QED

I spent 40 years forecasting the weather, and I can tell you that this was in many ways as normal a British summer as we could expect

Michael Fish
, the former BBC weatherman famed for his “no hurricane” forecast in 1987

No comments: