Wednesday, October 08, 2008

IRONY ALERT - Driving misers crazy

It's a tricky one.

Competition throughout history has driven innovation, and innovation in driving is the competition here.

However, I had to crank a slight eyebrow at a piece on the news today about a driving competition that is based on the lightest foot winning.

I would just wish that there had (if there was I missed it) been a slight tilt towards the fact that, whatever the awareness, there are still an awful lot of cars gadding about the country burning fuel. It's better, but to me still erring on F1 trying to allude to eco-status by thinking about bio-fuels.

So far all I have gleaned as a consequence is that a smaller car uses less fuel, plus if you don't accelerate or break hard. Well, D'uh.

I do wonder what box-ticking effort this latest exercise in awareness might really be serving.

Addendum - Just watched the lunch news. The objective is, apparently, 'to use the least fuel'.

I wrote in and asked if, as a local participant (they went past my home), I could claim a prize, as my car used sod all fuel today as I didn't get in it.

Sadly, no reply. But fear not, this is so popular that there are plans for many more. Gaia breathes easier, I am sure.

Addendum 2 - Just watching the BBC Breakfast News about some noble race or other across the Antarctic. I am sure TV show and book to follow.... on BBC Worldwide.

Now, I am all for all these 'higher, faster, stronger' celebrations of the human spirit, but do wonder how the irony alert gets disconnected because some staffers are on to plug the thing.

Were we not being lambasted for how all we are up to is messing up the wildlife in colder climes? And how do all these guys and their teams get there... kayak?

I am still trying to get my head round yesterday's well-publicised 'eco'-race (one of many to come, apparently. Maybe F1 will get in on the act) where hundreds of folk drive around the country to show how little petrol they used. I was the clear winner by not going out at all in my car, and if I did only for something I really needed it for.

Consistency, Aunty, consistency. Next you'll be vying for a slot on Virgin Galactic... oh.

Join Captn. Fishtock's 'Polar Bears need more settees to rest on icebergs' now!

No comments: