Friday, July 17, 2009

Go Figure

I don't usually 'do' politics here, but I must say this caught my eye.

Only a few hours ago I was watching BBC lunch news with much gush on the 400k jobs in 'green' industries, and then I read this....

Miliband promises more green jobs but Vestas wind turbine plant is closing

Now there may be all sorts of nuances behind the optimism of one and the facts of the other, but something is really struggling to add up here.

And another nail in the coffin of Ministerial 'R&R' rhetoric vs. reality? And another reason to wonder just what some of our media actually does these days bar churning out press releases from Whitehall.

I was going to say we deserve more honesty from our pols, but really that is a boat that has sailed, been holed, sunk and is now at the bottom of the Marinas Trench.

Daily Politics - Green shoots and wind turbines -

Telegraph - NEW - Miliband's brilliant plan to combat climate change: 'We'll export unicorns to China' - using the pejoratives, I'd say the 'denier'/'warmist' ratio here is about 20:1 (on the Guardian it is reversed - go figure. I'd say Mr. Delingpole and Monbiot could be hired to remake the 'When Two Tribes Go To War' FrankieGTH video), so there is no point joining in. And again, verifiable facts are thin on the ground, so we are in the realms of conviction and hyperbole. But I was interested in the claimed job loss stat in Spain. Just as matter cannot be created or destroyed, it is often the case that a job in one area results with a loss in another. And this government seems very poor at thinking in... well, just thinking.

No comments: