Saturday, April 15, 2006

We all have our ratings to bear

OK, that didn't take long: back to normal (though the brevity thing seems attractive as the sun peaks through this Saturday morn).

I was taken by the following: Crucify me? Sorry, I've changed my mind, which is about a 'Scottish DJ, presenter and tabloid columnist, who had travelled with a television crew in tow to the Philippines village of San Pedro Cutud to take part in the bloody annual re-enactment of Christ's crucifixion.'

You'll have to trust me that I have not edited out anything that makes much difference, but let me simply include the following, in sequence from the rest of the piece in question:

 "He is just after publicity," proclaimed Conrado Diamse, a local villager who has been crucified before.

Diamond said before setting off on his quest: "I'm in my mid-30s, I've got three kids and it's about time I did something that didn't involve cheap gags."

After his experience, however, he was less forthcoming. "He is doing it as a spiritual journey," said a Channel Five spokesman. "He doesn't want to talk to the press until closer to the transmission date."

I think that last one pretty much nails it for what it is, if you forgive the pun.

No comments: