Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Losing the sizzle




I am beginning to feel like one of those folk featured in home video shows, where they are straddling a boat and the pier and the two are slowly con and diverging.
Junkk.com was born, initially as a hobby riding on the back of Firebird.com, the creative collective of which I am part. But somewhere along the line it became the dominant call on my resources.
Well now for reasons of I must return - at least for the day job - to the fold I know better, and with luck will have enough success again to feed the family and fund Junkk.com. The blog will continue, as will the ideas, but I guess the main areas to be curtailed will be the promotion and in-depth research. Well, the first was costing an arm and leg, and the latter is mainly well covered by other, better funded resources, so it should not detract from the site experience.
But there will always be overlaps.
Today I was reviewing the latest crop of press ads gleaned from the Sunday mags, with a view to doing Junkk.com 'adapts' to show how easy it would be to sell the product... and then the benefits of the packaging's second use.
And it struck me how easy my Junkk job is often made, because so many of the ads actually do show the packaging.
In many ways that struck me as odd, because the whole point is to sell the sizzle, not the sausage.
Plus it does stretch across the whole ad spectrum. I've added a couple more examples here.
One presumes these are intended to motivate the consumer, but where's the end-benefit to make me want to engage?
The branding is great, and all the copy boxes may be ticked, but really they are just so much wasted space.
And you know how I feel about waste.

No comments: