Monday, October 02, 2006

Past my SEL date

Sorry, couldn't resist that headline.

SEL stands for 'Social Enterprise London', and is an organisation who has kindly allowed me to join (Junkk.com is, after all, a national resource) their ranks. I won't go much more into what they do, but it's worth checking out the website. The name pretty much says it anyway. Well worth joining and reasonable rates as well.

I was there as part of my whirlwind networking tour over the last few weeks, attending a conference entitled 'Marketing for Social Enterprises and Not for Profits (and that scummy commercial entity who happens not to charge, Junkk.com... kidding)'.

Frankly I was hoping to meet some relevant people more than anything, and in this I was not disappointed. The topics of the day really didn't cover much I didn't already know, but the speakers where very good, well connected and approachable. I hope that there my be good opportunities to come.

There was Dominic O'Reilly from MediaTrust, who really gave a good insight into what pushes a journo's buttons (and doesn't). Then Solitaire Townsend of Futerra, who added to this. We have been in touch with them before I think, but nothing came of it. Maybe this time it will.
It was also good to see Kelly of TRAID, and at last return the mannequin to her. See, I did share a trip with a kind of person.

In the afternoon there was a very perky presentation from Paul Caplan of the Internationale, who had some firm views on new media. I liked his style a lot. Then Tony Hodson of Third Sector Magazine, who I was keen to buttonhole for obvious reasons... only he was leaving for another job!

Finally there was a Marketing #101 from Chris Fill of Pompey Uni, and this was like going over familiar turf. And finally David Grayson of Business in the Community, another good speaker and hopefully well worth catching up with.

I also met some lovely fellow attendees, and in particular enjoyed chatting with Servane of Ogunte, who had me convinced that great things could soon take place. Hope so!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter!
A quick note to see if you had had the opportunity to talk to people at New Economic Foundation and their Time-Banks network, who could be a great relay to your website.
Keep having fun!
All the best
Servane

Emma said...

Dear Servane,
Procrastination is the thief of time, they say. So thanks for the timely reminder. Last day today to get off the Social Entrepreneur Award documents and pack the car for the Inventors Show (leaving dawn tomorrow). So a task for next week!

Calvin Jones said...

An environmentalist gone bad, or progressing?

Hi there, I have been working on climate change and been involved in climate activism for some time.

I have become increasingly interested in the marketing of Ideas and behaviour changes.

I am interested in finding out more about both marketing in general and in relation to climate change.

A couple of reports that I have read on climate change marketing so far can be found here:

http://climatechangeaction.blogspot.com/2006/11/marketing-climate-change.html

Any suggestions of reports/articles to read would be very wellcome.

Regards,
Calvin

Emma said...

I hope when you say '...gone bad..' you don't mean me!

I'm not perhaps not accepting all that is thrown at me in the name of green uncritically, but I actually want to do what's best for my grandkids, and hence am a seeker of the best way.

As to progressing.. read this blog!

Actually, to answer your question you could do worse. I usually post what's caught my eye with links to what you seek.