Monday, October 02, 2006

Two legs good...

I really shouldn't get into literary analogies, as the last time I had much to do with English Lit. was at 'O' Level.

However my memories of Animal Farm were stirred a bit when I read this at the weekend:

A green snag they emitted to mention...

Of course it's just another shot in the 'Who is Greener' Elite artillery that sails over most of our heads, and I do seem to recall 'an' 'issue' of the Sunday Times that was all offset and stuff a while ago before they started flying some Fashionistas again to Greenland to bash their own seals for a fur collar, as they (as opposed to the creature) couldn't be seen dead in any more recycled stuff as that spread a month ago was soooooo, well, last month.

However, there are points to be made here about those who tell 'us' to do stuff, and what 'they' do themselves. Some being a bit more equal than others, 'n all.

As one is quoted: "We do all we can to cut travel but we need to do some flying to make decisions." Trouble is, I kinda do need to do some car driving to make enough to eat. And it's hard to see how we visit Mama and Kong Kong for family gatherings in Singapore by mule. We all have our needs, reasons... and excuses.

An offsetting, which I rather unfairly refer to sometimes as 'whacking a fir tree in a desert' (after a scheme which did just that, and when they all died let off tons of methane decaying), is not the simple, universal panacea some seem to think. And hence is not a 'Get out of J.. igglinuncomfortably Free Card'.

So a big up to Mr. Monbiot, who 'has not flown for more than a year' (me either, but that's 'cos I've been busy, can't afford it for pleasure and have found no one to pay for me on business yet), and says: 'If even the leaders of the green movement are not prepared to live without flying for pleasure then how can we expect that of other people?'

As 'another person', to he and his fellow leader 'we's', I humbly thank you for the thought, if not the deeds.

No comments: