Thursday, January 04, 2007

Frying pan. Fire. No food.

Go green, Farmer Giles

"As with so many things in environmental debates, I confess to suffering from a slight lack of objective, factual information to help me follow debates.

One issue involving the above that has generated concerns for me surrounds so-called bio-fuels.

I have a vision of, and hence problem with the notion of driving, carbon-neutrally, through our green (or whatever colour bio-fuel crops are) and pleasant land, trying to find something locally-produced to eat. Should we not be encouraging moves towards less transport and more local production of essentials?

While it may work for Brazil (on the assumption they haven't whacked down green-lung rain forests to do so), they have a tad more space to play with. Do we?

Given the option, I'd prefer to stick with food."

No comments: