Sunday, January 28, 2007

Verbosity Complex

Another from Bad Science: Science and Fiction

"There is no doubt that basic sensible dietary and lifestyle advice is sound. You should exercise more, eat more fibre, and more fresh fruit and vegetables."

Bang on. But it wouldn't fill too many column inches, and would soon cease to be newsworthy in the repetition. Much better to keep finding something new, make it very complex, and preferably stir up a controversy that will only result eventually in the product being remembered enough to sustain the marketing.

Works for all concerned, especially those with whole new careers being the media interface du jour for lazy other media seeking a quick way to fill some space or time as well.

Shame it only reached the audience of the New Statesman who, I would hazard, have already suspected as much. Bet there's still a few ‘out of sell-by date’ bottles of vits to counter ague and ill-humours lurking in the back of the cabinet, though."

It can just as well apply to the environment as well. Excuse me, I have to fly to Bali for a conference on the contribution of Polar Bear toots to Global Warming.

2 comments:

fotherington said...

I notice you haven't okayed two of my posts - was there something wrong with them?

Tom

Emma said...

The ones that I have seen, and/or been informed about by Blogger... no problem. They have been most helpful.

It may be my (lack of) skill with the new system, but I am only aware of this one, one under THE INVESTIGATION today along with this (to which I will reply), and two you made to an earlier Stern posting a few days ago, which I thought I'd OK'd and answered.

Certainly the moderating section has nothing outstanding:(

I'll have a rummage.

Thx for your patience.