Saturday, February 17, 2007

Don't Drive or Drive?

Missed a day. Did you miss me?
The boys are on half-term and 'er indoors had set them up with an eye test in Hereford, so I decided to combo a whole set of chores.
So we set off at 8.45am for the 9.15am appointment. 30 minutes. By car. 3 up. Half a gallon. £2 round trip, plus £1 parking. Back after chores (see below) in time to get lunch ready for Mum.
Took a large box set of exhausted toner cartridges and expired drum thingy to Cartridge World to be refilled. Went to Volvo to see about connecting my solar trickle charger to the cigar lighter (it doesn't seem to work - no answer). Then to Sainsbury's to restock my supply of tinned palm hearts (shipped, I trust - do food miles weigh air vs. sea?). Home.
Now, the simple answer to how to do that 'eco' is to do it slowly or not at all. Was that an option? I guess. But I missed a morning anyway and a lot I needed to do will not get done (you could argue my reading and blogging the day's media is non-essential, but there are a lot of 'jobs' being carried out I'd say are equally forgoeable. It would have been a long day without the car, and more money (unless I never owned the car in the first place. Not really an option in the country). At least I can get this blog post out of it. The green elite would turn it into a TV programme, and pay their mortgage on the proceeds. Most are not so blessed in being rewarded for their good green practices, and I do wonder if those who preach most vocally would do so if not compensated for their special status
Hmmmn.

No comments: