Tuesday, May 29, 2007

More from the Brown mouth.

I just got an invite to another talkfest, again in London. This time from COMPASS, the of the democratic left. I won't be going. Not for any political reasons, but I did a cost/benefit analysis and, even at a reasonable £22, it's too far for what's on offer.

But I did reply to the invite, from the Chair:

Thank you for the invitation; I am afraid I will not be able to attend.

I wish you luck with many of your stated aims.

'in less than a month Gordon Brown will be Prime Minister. Gordon has said he’ll listen and he needs to. '

If this is the best Mr. Brown can manage you are going to need it. I have lost count of the number of occasions where I have heard in person or seen reported that he, or a member of this government 'will listen'. This has fast become code for 'delay as long as possible until it goes away, doesn't matter any more or happens on someone else's watch, preferably after my fellow ministers and I have long gone following a long and comfortable gold-plate funded retirement.' Good for them; not so hot for the rest of us, the country... or planet.

Me, I'd like to see a little more 'doing' all round, and soon. And not the meeting targets kind, the actually doing something good kind.

Maybe you guys can prod them in that novel direction of what public service is supposed to be about again.

No comments: