Tuesday, June 05, 2007

COOL EARTH

This is a first for Junkk.com: a page dedicated to supporting a cause we truly feel is going to make a real difference: Cool Earth

No snappy headline, because this page will get revisited a lot so we can ensure it gets pushed to the front page of Junkk.com whenever we add something new. I think it is that important.

I became aware of it yesterday, when it launched, thanks to a short piece in Newsnight, which I blogged on earlier.

Frankly I cannot understand, with all the claimed media support for climate change initiatives, why this was not front page news, but maybe the return of the cold war of Big Brother is more pressing to some (or sells more papers and/or get more ratings).

One thing sold me. The entire annual carbon output produced by the USA is exceeded by the carbon sink LOST by deforestation. This puts d*cking about obsessing about carrier bags and 4x4s in stark focus. This planet will only be saved for our kids when we sweat the big stuff, and stop pandering to petty, negative issues (Junkk.com is a very small, but positive issue, so please keep on supporting us!).

I have already managed to contact those involved, who are very approachable.

And I will be checking out the site more thoroughly, and will revisit (I intend to score a few acres of our own to oversee) regularly with updates.

My main concern was the trading aspect, which set off some alarm bells and red flags.

I have been reassured that when you buy an acre, it is yours and will remain so, though there seems some variation on duration which I need to verify. It is also not for trading, as I very much would not want anything I had invested in being used to buy off bad behaviour elsewhere.

So, with great optimism, and the best will in the world, I am happy to say: Watch this space!

No comments: