Wednesday, September 12, 2007

And in the green corner - Bin Laden!

I missed this from The TimesOnline yesterday, reporting on Osama Bin Laden's latest video appearance on the anniversary of 9/11. A date which still makes me shudder, especially as I should have been in the World Trade Centre on the day of the attack; luckily (for me) my meeting was cancelled a few days beforehand.

Anyway, it would seem that the new Grecian 2000 enhanced version of the leader of Al-Qaeda is standing fair and square in the 'green lobby'.

"The life of all of mankind is in danger because of the global warming resulting to a large degree from the emissions of the factories of the major corporations. Yet despite that, the representative of these corporations in the White House insists on not observing the Kyoto accord".

I suppose that there's a first time for everything - I have to confess that I don't think I can recall ever agreeing with anything in a statement from an international terrorist before!

ADDENDUM - from Junkk Male

Guardian - Can we fight terrorism by reducing CO2 emissions?

1 comment:

Emma said...

Easy Tiger.

I saw this, too, and like you decided to give it a while in deference to those who suffered that day.

There has of course be a word around for a long time: 'eco-terrorist'.

And while I was never of favour of that being accorded some slack on the rather stretched notion that they were acting 'for' the planet, we should avoid giving Mr. Bin Loading any PR angle for his rather twisted notions of world order.

While the bald facts of what you quote there are reasonable, I very much doubt that was anywhere in his mind when he set on his path. Like so many, he has co-opted a worthy ideal and twisted it for some very dubious ends.

I have no doubt he would have this planet under a radioactive cloud to satisfy his nihilistic notions of a glorious afterlife, and anyone hitching to this wagon should be very careful... not that I imply for one second that is what you meant!

The fact is that a lot that is 'hurting' this planet may well be by the numbers of bods on it, and the consequences of their strivings.

A sad fact is that some terrorist activity, especially on the WMD scale, could knock the world back to a stone age that some would deem a correction.

I think most rational folk would see a more measured approach as being desirable for our kids' futures.