Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The value of research

A lot revolves around research. Which probably explains why it is such a vast industry.

And why so many reply upon it to help in what they do. From those with a point to make, to those with ratings to drive up.

On these pages I have quoted some, if usually with a caution as to origins, and methodologies, etc, so let's just say I treat most with a large dose of salt.

That said, Blogger has created a poll function that looks a giggle, so maybe Junkk.com can get in on the act to.

Amongst many considerations, one I may not have mentioned before is how the pollsters vet the answers. All too often, and especially if done by public contribution, and even more so by an online amount of effort, the results must almost inevitably be skewed not just by who gets asked, but who can be bothered (or fund) the time to fill the things out.

Take this one. On the promise of getting the results, I got cracking, and on the first page was fine with some multiple-choice (though I usually hit a wall when none apply and I want to argue that the question sucks) stuff on the environment. But then I hit going through a few score of individuals, giving each a rating, and could not just jump on because a) I didn't know and b) didn't care. So as it expected too much of me I gave up.

I imagine those who are listed there may be more inspired to devote the time, or get others to help.

In which case, what value?

No comments: