Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Credit Crunch

As a smug, self-satisfied eco-warrior, each action I take of course brings its own reward.

Today was more so than many.

I just flushed a loo that only required a lightning strike to create life in its bowl.

I put out bin liner only half full of various nasties from a family of five in a week.

I exchanged cheery badinage with the nice man from the kerbside collection service, who happily took my letter to his boss to save on post cost and energy.

Now I am switching all off in the house that is not required to attend a council event in the big city. OK, I'm driving. You can't win 'em all.

Thing is, I happily do these because I don't see why not and nothing much hurts (though the missus is not big on the mellow loo notion, especially with 3 males in the house).

But I do wonder about others.

Especially as there is no incentive to do any of these things. No penalty to be sure, but no nudge to the cause of eco-righteousness.

My water is unmetered. I can put out as many bags as I like. No one insists I put out the RE:Box. And no one cares much if I drive to the city at the same time as another attendee (I have the solution!!!!!! If anyone would like to help me develop it!!!!!!)

And that seems to me to be barking.

ADDENDUM - I attended a local meeting the same evening. Our Environment Cabinet Member has told us that 'we' will not have bi-weekly rubbish collections imposed. No eco or financial reasons, either. In a refreshing bit of honesty he admitted it was because very councillor had told him it was not going to happen and he wanted to keep his job, along with theirs. Ah... democracy.

No comments: