Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Reporting News. Or Making It?

I just have to shake me heads when the bouffant and the blonde stare solemnly at the camera and intone '...and what can be done about it?'.

Nothing, my loves, for now you have jumped on the bandwagon it has gathered so much steam it will never be stopped. One the rabble are roused, you can never put the cork back in.

My two 11 year-olds have pestered 'til we gave in, and are going out with some chums tonight trick or treating. They have made costumes and, as far as I can tell, just hope to score some candy. There are no fireworks or flour bombs in the basement. And they have had dire warnings from us and the school about any bad behaviour. I have also cautioned them that not all whose doors they may knock will be inspired by their cute outfits, so just move on if it seems they are unwelcome.

Which, if anyone watched the TV slot I just saw, they will be. Hooded late teenagers with no hint of Halloween make-up or spirit simply out to make trouble. Police vans and threats of ASBOs. Neighbourhood collapse.

It was there on screen so I guess it must happen. Though from the way the muppet with the mic was prompting one had to wonder just how outraged some were before being pushed to respond ion a useful soundbite manner.But there was also no balance... at all. Nice, young, happy kids engaging in a bit of social activity around the neighbourhood for one evening in the year. I have some candy for any that call here. But I will also be taping up the letterbox now.

How sad is that? And with news reports like this it will never improve.

I just hope my boys have as good a time as they are hoping. Fingers crossed.

Guardian - I'm a Halloweenie - Meanwhile in Planet CiF. Some worthy 'facts', though. As a Scot I now don't feel so suckered.

Might Help


Telegraph - Hallowe'en bashers need to lighten up

In the morning I watched a BBC 'report' on the 'state of the crisis' filmed in a sink estate with late teens whose only costumes seemed to be hoodies. Posters from the local plod were shown making a plea to retailers not to sell eggs or flour to any youths for fear of a nasty outbreak of pancake batter-y.

My dear old Mum therefore locked herself upstairs in fear of this feral assault.

That night my two 11-year-olds went out with their mates dressed in costumes they'd made. For 3 hrs they toured the town, had a ball, got a ton of candy from generous, well-prepared neighbours.

I think I know who really needs to sort themselves out.

No comments: