Sunday, December 02, 2007

A lot of space

Not exactly a priority in the great scheme of things, but I am watching the BBC news and something has struck me.

While I appreciate the dilemma presented by space travel between scientific investigation and the vast carbon footprint it lays down, I cannot for the life of me comprehend why the national broadcaster would be so actively promoting space tourism in all its forms.

Other than the dubious justification of using private money to fund public works (like rich hunters getting to kill whatever they fancy to support conservation), there seems to me no other way to describe this activity other than sticking a rich bozo atop a column of greenhouse gasses to have a Kodak moment.

Yet it warrants a visit to NASA to promote to those of us who will never afford it, even if we feel the urge. Odd.

No comments: