Monday, April 14, 2008

Just fill out these forms, Mr. Edison...

Exhibition of Inventions: Where crackpot meets genius

It seems so long ago...

I wonder which I was (still am?) last year when I won a Gold Medal (with Jury Congrats)* at the same event.

Even when your 'ideas' are quite down to earth, practical and may even stand a chance of making money as well as 'things better', you do tend to face a steep slope.

But James Dyson is right, the system doesn't make it easy once you start on the journey up, as Jeremy Clarkson also agrees on another page of this edition. Even before you really start, at events such as this.

Because I also recall funding every aspect of my trip by virtue of being English. Meanwhile over the way the lovely, helpful (to me, too.. ta, boyos) chaps on the Welsh Development Agency stand were basking in all the benefits of well-coordinated (and funded) efforts to support and sell both innovation and the consequently valuable IP.

* Check the green RE:tie to see with what.

Times - Time to save the world again, lads

I got my Engineering degree a few years after Brunel, and on the strict understanding that I didn't use it to make anything. I figured this didn't apply to inventing some stuff, which was lucky, as it is how I came to win a Gold Medal at The Geneva Inventions Show mentioned in the complementary InGear Gizmo article to this. It was nice, but hasn't made life too much easier.

I wish I was young enough** to be eligible to catch James Dyson's eye, as the the system doesn't make it easy at any age once you start on the journey to market.

Because I also recall funding every aspect of my trip by virtue of being English. Meanwhile over the way the lovely, helpful (to me, too.. ta, boyos) chaps on the Welsh Development Agency stand were basking in all the benefits of well-coordinated (and funded) efforts to support and sell both innovation and the consequently valuable IP.

I wonder if the Yanks may fancy it? Don't know how they stack up in the originality stakes, but they sure know how to make an idea not only work, but also some money.

**Maybe I could lie about my age? Nah... that wouldn't be legal. And anyway as readers of this blog will gather from my adventures to date, it's only certain folk who can have ideas or need help with 'em, apparently.

No comments: