Friday, May 02, 2008

Plan for greener dairy industry

An interesting article from NewsSniffer, regarding the plans to make the dairy industry 'greener'.

Lots of well intentioned plans and targets included:-

"the roadmap aimed to address the environmental consequences of producing liquid milk through the supply chain from farms to retailers."

"Producers have also pledged to improve water efficiency by up to 15% per litre, source 40% of energy from renewables by 2020 and recycle or recover 70% of non-natural waste on farms."

"Processors have committed to doing their bit by aiming to source 20% of non-transport energy from renewables or combined heat and power, and to a 30% reduction in water use."

All well and good, but I can't help commenting on this one in particular:-

"The Milk Roadmap includes measures such as sourcing half of all packaging from recycled materials by 2020."

Only half? When I was much, much younger, we all had 100% reusable and recyclable milk containers. I seem to recollect that they were made out of glass, and we called them, errrr ..... what was it, oh yes, I remember now ....... bottles!

3 comments:

Emma said...

LOL.

That said, it does show the dilemmas one faces.

One of my biggest potential markets for the RE:tie is those rather useless opaque plastic jobs.

Though I am making some funiture and a canoe out of them.

Dave said...

Peter,
Just make sure that when you get your first application order for 10 million re:tie's that you DO have them manufactured from recyclable plastic!
D.

Emma said...

Way ahead of you!

Thing is, and I stand ready to be corrected, there is currently no recycled plastic up to the task.

Of course, the RE:tie makes the strip reuseable, and I am working on the cap.

To the best of my knoweldge there is no reason why the cpa scould not be recycled, if collected. I recall a Swedish initiative doing just such a thing, and was keen to tune Junkk.com to encourage it here.

Ps: I clicked the link to the article. Is it just me, or are the BBC rewrites going backwards in clarity?