Thursday, November 12, 2009

The TOL Bar - e-will

Still grappling with an unhealthy addiction to twitter.

It's just that it... is... so... darn... useful for new info, usually linked.

Soooo hard to resist.

And, often, soooo hard not to either RT or draft a reply, which with a total of 140 characters (inc. original) can be a challenge; one that takes time.

But I know it is detracting from here.

The solution, I think is a compromise (for now): I'll keep up with both, but cut down on the rehashing (#re - that is more apt than you think) as frankly a lot of folk just shunt the same info or opinion around endlessly, and try and focus on adding value.

I cannot claim to get hold of much original 'news', so this means, mainly, data and/or ideas.

As here, in the latest 'Thinking Out Loud" label post.

It has been inspired by this:

What happens to email after you die


Inspired but, ironically, little actually to do with its main premise, more on personal privacy.

I'm thinking the 'cost' of online existence.

Already, I daily 'enjoy' gigabytes of stuff flowing in, much of which I don't even look at at all much less skip. I tend to keep 'em all 'cos I'm hoarder by nature, but also the 'missing the nugget in the tailings' fear. I should cancel many... most, but don't. Just in case. And, heck, they might appreciate the numbers on the ratings board.

But what about when I pop off or, as seems more likely, one day suffer info overload rage and decide to really get back to my shed and hope a passing airship full of VCs and journalists passes over head and sees my latest creation?

Plugs may well get pulled, but I doubt that much will happen to the outpouring, though the size of in-box caches may well eventually lead to a blockage. Maybe even a 'full' sign that properly washed mailings will pick up on and self-cancel.

But for the rest...?

Maybe the creation of some kind of e-will of things to cancel might leave a legacy that helps the planet as well, if in a small way? It might need some effort to set up and carry out, plus the scary notion of post-mortem access to passwords, but I wonder if it may be worth it?

No comments: