Friday, January 26, 2007

Davos IV (er.. more plebs strike back)

I have been moved to repost to the article on my previous DAVOS blog

"Thank you, icurahuman2

For what it's worth, I tend to agree with your technique and use it here in the UK for my environmental website. Hence I get a pretty good objective information spread between the Times and Telegraph on the right/biz-friendly side, and the BBC, Indy & Guardian on the left/liberal/activist side. The government propaganda machine sort of falls in-between, erring, obviously, left politically, but often quite right where money is involved. I now have a further insight by qualifying to be on their mailing list.

It is too often depressing to see what’s served up by press officers churned out without comment or analysis, almost verbatim, with agenda served simply by inclusion (or not) and editing (see below).

However you can get into whole other realms on top of these, such as societal impacts, when you stray into tabloid or magazine territory, which I also need to and do.

Plus of course there is rich and varied fare internationally, though sadly our budget precludes as many paid subs (online or hard copy) as I'd like for true balance. Especially niche areas, such as business, media or my own.

I've blogged endlessly on the power of omission, and cited this, with EDIT as an oft ignored servant of AGENDA, in such as my blog, 'lor forgive me, on the Big Brother episode - http://junkk.blogspot.com/2007/01/hell-in-handbasket.html, now moving into its next sorry phase, here and in India at least.

Hence my being a tad dubious on how well served we may be by an exclusive cabal of 'connected’ journalists with, (and I'm sorry to use this as an off-blog opportunity), a slight dig at the informational, financial and environmental ROI's we derive(d) as readers and planet-inhabitters and, as you point out, a weather ear to the masters they serve."

No comments: