Wednesday, February 14, 2007

It all adds up. Or does it?

Calculating the carbon cost of business travel

I wonder how much calculating results in not doing in the first place.

Homeworking, video-conferencing, anyone?

Whacking a fir in the Gobi to compensate is not better than nothing, if and when the alternative of not travelling is available.

It will also make for a thinner travel section as you don't get to go to report on a Bali sap where the climate change delegates will go to relax. Or their ads.

But it does spoil the jollies some, luckier than others, enjoy.

ADDENDUM:

A very comprehensive post by EvilClanger, most of which I could not agree more with.

My only area of concern strays into the social costs of sledgehammer taxes, so I am reassured to see the word ‘graduated’ in the commercial tax calculation. I do get nervous by what seems a vaguely elitist, urban-centric view that those who live in the country all escaped there and enjoy a bohemian lifestyle. I’d venture many do not have the luxury of a penthouse in Canary Wharf, especially if they have families or don’t work in the City. I do believe it’s because that’s all they can afford.

ps: I think fur is now back ‘in’, probably featured in a gossip or style section near here.

No comments: