Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Apprentice Shi*

I was just watching BBC Breakfast with Sir Alan Sugar explaining the new show's format.

I haven't watched it before. Doubt I will now.

He deems the winner's paths to be a great accolade to the BBC. I must see how Ruth Badger's consultancy is doing.

But I was mostly struck at his admission that what is shown is nothing like reality because that 'doesn't put bums on seats'. So a man of his calibre is merely a puppet to what some luvvie production munchkins want for ratings.

And hence... even though it's obvious it wasn't isn't and never was intended to be, lets be clear it's nothing like real business then.

Please let's not try to pretend it is.

Guardian -

I watched BBC Breakfast the other day with Sir Alan Sugar explaining the new show's format.

I haven't watched it before. On the basis of his performance I saw nor reason to try try this time. From what I read above I was well motivated not to.

He deemed previous winner's paths to be a great accolade to the BBC. I must see how Ruth Badger's consultancy is doing.

But I was mostly struck at his admission - like we didn't know, but really, today's media is all about saying one thing as po-faced as possible while doing the direct opposite off camera - that what is shown is nothing like reality because that 'doesn't put bums on seats'. So a man of his calibre is merely a puppet to what some luvvie production munchkins want for ratings.

And hence... even though it's obvious it wasn't, isn't and never was intended to be, lets be clear it's nothing like real business then.

Please BBC, let's not try to pretend it is. There are some in this country who don't get their business and career guidance from such as Dragon's Den and rubbish like this.

It is only popular because slickly produced public executions have always been so, and if you are handed the full force of a national broadcast medium machine you are pretty much certain of a nicer job thanks to the ratings boost. Except if you made Castaway. Keelhauling may help there, not that I've watched it either.

Guardian - Last night's TV


Guardian - Stepping out from under Sir Alan's shadow

No comments: