Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Getting Places

No, not a new travel agency. Though I'm sure I will soon get a PR from one who is trying (it will be a tough, if interesting, sell) to suggest that they can satisfy our holiday needs and save the planet, too. As I'm still not too big on the buy-off culture that is carbon offsetting, about the only one that would seem to fit the bill would be 'CycleFromHomeTours'. You heard it here first.

No, yesterday was a good day. If exhausting, both physically and mentally, especially the latter, as it was pretty much full on from about 6am until I went into brain-meltdown at 7pm. I'm afraid my days of pulling 24/7 all-nighters as I did in my ad days are over, it seems.

I am still resisting the urge to read all the papers and newsletters, and blog back accordingly. I have to say I miss this to an extent, because I do get to stay on top of stuff but also engage and, often, get the Junkk.com name out there. But it does mean a large chunk of the day is opened up for other activities.

For a while this was filled by the trial journalistic response system I engaged with, which was running at about 50 posts a day. Of these about 5 were relevant, and in replying during the week I was getting positive replies to my input (everything from request for ideas to offer to eco-summer section in Women's Mags, to a comment on the state of social entrepreneurship in Accountancy, which has my RE:tie PR lady biting her nails) , with the chance of coverage. In the great sales scheme of things not too bad.

Trouble is, my free week stopped. And then the invite to subscribe swung in. Gulp! I'd gone for about 10 sections (and there are scores), and each was £200+ per year to continue with. But then I was called by the sales guys and when I told them it was out of my league they went away and had a think and have offered me a deal based on what Junkk.com was trying to do that will make a couple worth investing in. I just have to figure out which to choose, as a good lead can come from anywhere, and often the least obvious. Anyway, thank you Response Source (what goes around..., see).

Next up, my ongoing PR for the RE:tie is still and, at long last, starting to bear fruit. I am getting some very nice reactions from a lot of places. Especially the trade media, which may in the end be the best for forging business relationships. Still not too much from the Holy Grail of consumer nationals, but maybe an award for an idea is not really enough to float their boats. But that said, Lucy Siegel of the Observer wrote back with a nice note about seeing what she could do, and there are a few other irons in the fire that have yet to cool.

The business aspect also gathers steam. Thanks to a connection made by a school chum, I have been put in touch with a Business Angel brokerage that looks not only promising, but has the added value of a personally-endorsed, and hence trusted, relationship to kick off on a more than reassuring note. And this is complemented by UKTI-supported leads in IP and sustainable packaging that is knitting it all together. But you may see why my brain is frying as, at the end of the day, it is still all down to me to get on top of and coordinate.

Speaking of which, after many months, my much-missed ex-Chief of Stuff Emma got in touch. I miss her input so very much, but wish her well in her new career.

And, in a packed day, I came in this AM to find that, at PM, my blog does sometimes get read by more than my Aunty, and a very helpful reply was posted to a rather un-PR (if not PC) comment about London-based, and weighted, conferences. Check back a few blogs to see the latest.

It's still a roller-coaster ride, but as the analogy suggest, it cannot be accused of being anything other than exciting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the nice post.

Emma said...

Why, thank you too, John.

I am conscious I spend perhaps a wee bit too much in negative areas, but in a way my blog is a pressure valve for keeping Junkk.com on the totally positive as a site and re:source.

But it is nice to share some good news here as my journey prgresses, too.

Though I can see a potential 'happy problem' arising on Junkk Male RE:view as more and more nice folk post and interact... as I'd be mortified to leave a reply too long. But for one all too good at burning bridges it's also great to build them, too.

I had a quick sneaky peak at the link from your name, and it looks like I can also add another worthy source of enviro-information and debate to my list.

Tell you what, why not kick off the blog links section I've been meaning to start on the Media category of the site here:
http://www.junkk.com/index.asp?slevel=0z608z746z1091&parent_id=1091

Send me an email to info@junkk.com and I'll pop a diRE:ctory invite straight back - and we'll see about getting you on site.

The more the merrier!