Thursday, October 18, 2007

Every little helps!

I had to re-read this twice and then recheck the date to make sure that it wasn't April fool's day. But no, it appears to be genuine. The article, from PendleToday, reports on Tesco's plan to use the canal system for transporting wine shipments from Liverpool to Manchester.

"The pioneering move will cut carbon emissions by 80%, according to the supermarket giant."

(I assume that means in comparison to the equivalent emissions by heavy lorries. )

"A company statement said 50 lorries will be off the road each week, which is claimed will save 1.1 million kilometres of heavy lorry journeys on British roads."

Well, I have to say that I'm initially impressed by this little initiative; let's hope that it might be a kick-start point from which others start to reassess the potential for commercial utilisation of Britain's canal network.

I wonder if they're going to look at using the horse drawn power option too?

No comments: