Monday, October 01, 2007

GiGo

I was interested (whilst noting it was but one) in this letter in the Indy: Changes to what can be recycled will result in overflowing bins

Here we have a willing and keen recycler essentially turned to the Dark Side by a system that says one thing but makes it very hard to actually do it.

Now our local kerbside system, the RE:box (logo designed by yours truly) does not present such a problem as no plastics are accepted anyway. I matter, I might note, of some irritation to many who think it should (I am prepared to listen to and weigh the ROI and enviROI explanations if and when provided).

Oddly, in the swimming pool carpark next door there is a dirty great skip that will take plastic. However it's a little vague on what exactly, so I give it all I can on the theory that this will encourage better logistical system from cradle to grave to deal with all the options, or at least sensible communications of what is going on and why.

It will be interesting to see whether efforts will be made to help such as me or, as i suspect, vast funds will be applied to 'dealing' with me rather than the waste I am trying to recycle.

The replies she got are equally telling.

'I continue to be amazed at the wide variation in recycling initiatives, which go from the disgustingly paltry to the exemplary. I would be intrigued to learn why there is such a huge disparity in the schemes currently in place across the country. Surely all councils have access to the same recycling technologies?'

'It does seem as though what started out as a good idea to benefit the environment has been taken over by the bureaucrats and turned into a money-saving exercise.'

The last one I think was written by the Indy's editorial dept.

No comments: