Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Peter the Meter

Just got our water rates advice: almost £700!!

Hence I am on a mission. So this will be an ongoing post, updated at intervals as events, dear boys and girls, events... transpire.

First action was to call the customer support line for Welsh Water.

Couldn't have been simpler. I asked for a water meter. The nice girl ignored that completely and took me through an 'assessment'. Number of people, washing machine, outdoor tap... no swimming pool, etc. No mention that slug 'n slug (the twins) currently bathe only with the full moon. And we operate a 'let it mellow' policy with the loos when Mum is out of sniffing range.

The result? Well, it seems my bill could be halved. Halved!!!? Why on earth was this option not mentioned a decade ago? That would be a saving, already, of a few thousand pounds!!!!!

So... when do I get the meter? Don't know. What I am getting... is 'a pack'.

The story unfolds...

14/April/08

... and not with the best of starts:

Times - Consumers shoulder cost of leaky pipes - This does not make encouraging reading, especially as (and I forgot to mention that, as a consequence of getting the pack and making a call), the surveyor turns up on Wednesday to assess the house for conversion! Next...

Times - MPs want water meters in every UK house to conserve water - Older piece, but I just chanced upon it.

16/April/o8

I have taken the risk. The engineer/surveyor turned up and it took, oh, about 30-40 seconds.

We located the outdoor stopcock and swapped a screw cap on a plastic junction box (which I suspect must have been quite new and hence ready and waiting... some may not be so receptive) with a single unit.

The meter then looks up at you. All the usual numbers. Plus a little gizmo in the middle that spins if there is a drip. Hence we ascertained there were no leaks. I guess we are lucky that the distance to the house interior was but a metre, and we are then responsible for all that happens inside. So if there was a leak, we'd know about it.

Now... let's see about the next bill. Gulp....

No comments: