Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Friggin' with the riggin'

Or... when bad polls go bad.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure we all do it, or would if we could. I have.

That is, tried to manipulate a poll result. Heck, I just did it recently with our last newsletter when I asked the Junkk.com readership to bung us a big up in the Observer Ethical Awards. But somehow I doubt our current readership, no matter how high quality, would quite compare to some others doubtless (well, I know they were, 'cos I only found out about the thing by one I'm signed up to asking me to vote for them) doing the same thing.

I was reminded of this last night, when I got an appeal from the owner of a big, respected music blog to help tip the balance in favour of his daughter in some music competition or other so she could win a car. The appeal of her music, or abilities, seemed vaguely irrelevant.

And if one wins such things, for sure you go on to milk it big time in PR. Whether it's Strictly Come Dancing or the BBC's 'Have Your Say' ('See... x% of those moderated in agreed...').

I'd say that a panel of judges is a much better bet for real expert assessment and objectivity, but these days what counts as an expert is often rather 'creative' at best. And even with 'pros' some agendas can often be held up to scrutiny.

I guess the best thing is to treat it just as a big game. But sadly, few do. Too much, including fame and fortune, hinges on these things. And with the inevitable influences of the vast , manipulable audiences on the internet available at the stroke of a key, it looks set to spiral ever higher. In entertainment value for sure, but as to real value... probably not so much.

Another MOTA (Metaphor Of The Age)?

No comments: