Sunday, April 13, 2008

Getting Fry'd

A Google ad link popped up on site (hence, I guess, paid for):

Stephen Fry on Climate Change


I know he's just another celeb. But he's bright lad and I rate his intellect. His piece is too short and very simplistic, but the main plea he makes resonates well, if not addressing how one deals with some of the other consequences of such advocacy (which sort of proves the problem, and his point, by providing an angle for those who would do nothing to highlight. Hence I think one has to at least tip to the 'Economics vs. Environment' balances). Sadly these are the down sides of what some say must be done (or not), and are in the hands of our hapless pols.

Interesting comments in reply, pro and con, though following my recent thoughts on where moderation becomes censorship, and the need for some rules, I do note the system on Friction.tv does seem to allow some comments to stay up that I would not.

The % agree/neutral/disagree bar is a surprise. Without letting my own bias intrude, I would have thought it would reflect more sympathy to this view, and makes one wonder about the value of such things (if used to explain or justify anything, but certainly 'CO' vs. 'CP' views, as all too often can happen in news hungry 24/7 media environments) as valid, viable information tools. One is, after all, talking a base of... 31 (at time of writing). As one thread contributor posed, in light of his popularity, and as this has been up 4 months, it is surprising how few have engaged, especially in support. I had heard of Friction tv, and am signed up I think, but it has not passed my radar for a long while.

No comments: