Friday, September 29, 2006

Leaving the line?

This I couldn't resist. A senior editor at the Telegraph had a horror train trip, and as he is lucky enough to enjoy a pulpit from which to share his frustration, did so. Were it that lesser mortals, or those who pay their own salaries ('sorry I'm late' doesn't cut it with my boss, or his clients, so it's out of pocket for me), had the same opportunity.

However, having expereinced in a concentrated period all that our transport systems can offer, I had to contribute. I just don't know how those who have to do it daily manage. And dread it if I have to join them. Here's my reply:

"Ouch.

But to this, and all the other stories that will be shared (watch this space... mine follows shortly), will come the response that these are but inevitable, isolated incidents. As I do not have the figures (and there will doubtless be many, proving both sides' claims) I can only go on what I know.

I live in Ross on Wye. Mostly I need to visit London for my work (and, as an ex-Londoner, with my family on social trips – that’s a factor of four on costs with some options).

There is a lovely collection of bricks at the end of the road where the train line used to be (nice one, Mr. Beeching).

To use the train, I could bus it I guess to Gloucester, but that would mean getting up at 4.30am to make the 7ish effort to arrive for a morning kick off. So it's a car then. The same one that my wife often has to drive hers to pick me up from Swindon to collect when the connection fails, as I've come back too late or had to wait until after 7 something pm to get the cheaper ticket. This can be, by the way, around £70. So I can't do short notice, change plans or travel 1st class.

Fuel to & fro costs £25. Parking, if required (not if I stay with a chum) £8-£20. And try lugging a demo kit or porty on the rush hour tube.

Save the planet? See my family? FEED my family...keep competitive?

It's a no brainer. If my clients could accept the world's first ethical copywriter and bear the ADDITIONAL costs of my using public transport, and the ADDITIONAL time (and hence opportunity cost) consequences of my travelling with same, all would be tikeddy boo. Fat chance. So it's the car, then (Or, longer trek, a budget plane).

Trouble is, the other day I had to dive off to the A40 when the M4 was closed (all day!) and then head home when the M40 ahead was also removed as an option and I stood no chance of getting where I was meant to be in time - and had no intention of sitting in a jam heating up Oxfordshire.

So it's obvious. Stay at home.

Now, about that job I’m pitching for..."

No comments: