Sunday, February 18, 2007

The very idea

Chill out

Gosh, the very idea of anything like this happening here in the UK.

Imagine if the Prime Minister used names acquired by signing a petition to a) say we know where you live and b) claim an exclusive right to show you the error of your ways.

The very idea....

'Tricky thing, democracy.

I recall my university days, when the vast majority of students were in the medical, engineering and law faculties.

Yet the Student Union was run (very much against most of our wishes) by the arts guys, who had about two lectures a week, while the rest of us were wall to wall 9 to 5.

Seems there was a Quorum (or some posh word) necessary to vote things in and out, including officers, and they tended to hold these when we'd lose course units for not being at class.

In the end we rebelled when they executive voted ents funds for some terrorist group in Africa, and got them out.

So to those of us (sorry, me. I decry all those who speak for others by claiming a mandate there is no evidence for them having) with families and day jobs and not living in London, where the streets are paved with gold and the transport is free, lobbing up to a rally does (how are the bodies drummed up for these, by the way? No spammed e-mails, surely), waving a placard all day really has no more value than an e-petition at doing much more than saying 'stop listening, start hearing and DO something that is not governed by hype, spin and self-interest'.

At least, that's wot I fink. But it seems I am too ignorant to understand the issues, let alone have the right to have an opinion or comment on them.'

Observer - Drivers to be offered trial pay-if-you-like toll scheme -
Observer - Hard sell in snarled-up Britain -
Observer - The e-petition shows that my government is listening -

Listening...hmnn. Are you hearing? Are you understanding?

I just heard you on Andrew Marr's show.

I look forward to getting your email and the answer to my questions, but on this performance won't hold my breath.

Lovely. Joining Art on Global Cool soon, no doubt.

No comments: